Friday, August 24, 2012

Bootleg Nation

I've bought fourteen DVDs in the past couple of days, all bootlegs, all about $2.00 each. There are at least five DVD stores in the nearby mall, all selling the same new releases (and by that I mean new in theaters - films that are six months from DVD release at home), classics, film festival offerings, blockbusters... everything is there. The shops look like regular stores but everything in them is an illegal copy, and they're good quality - not like when Kramer held a camera to his face at a screening of "Death Blow" in that one episode of Seinfeld ("Death Blow... when someone tries to blow you up, not because of who you are, but for different reasons altogether..."). There is no business model for the legal sale of DVDs here, and as far as I know, it's not possible to rent them - why would you given the sale price? Now that I've posted this, I hope customs doesn't decide to make an example out of me.