Monday, November 27, 2017

Giving Thanks for Canada

After a scrumptious Thanksgiving dinner party on Thursday night at my friend William's house (turkey and Copper River salmon, brought fresh by one of the guests from Alaska), I flew to Victoria, B.C. on Friday morning. I've been to Victoria several times, each time arriving by ferry, but this time I flew from Seatac to Sidney, rented a car, and drove about 15 miles to Victoria. The flight takes about 45 minutes, Alaska Airlines was having a sale, I had three days left of a holiday weekend to kill (I have a real aversion to staying home during the Thanksgiving long-weekend), so off I went. My accommodation was a microloft right on the waterfront, and even though the weather was blustery and cold, I ate some good food, relaxed, had fancy afternoon tea, saw some cool art, and got to leave the country.
It was micro but had everything I needed.

At the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria 









When spending $75 for tea and snacks at the Empress Hotel, I was reminded of something a friend said in Paris when Peter and I spent about $300 for lunch at the George VI - "yeah, but for the time you're there, you're renting the room." The room at the Empress had beautiful furniture and someone playing a grand piano - and the moment my treats were set in front of me, the pianist started playing one of my favorite songs, Viva la Vida by Coldplay - priceless.