Thursday, January 24, 2013

Taco Time

dinner
I have now mastered taking the bus in two languages,* the first of course being Icelandic http://www.placestogo-manomi.blogspot.mx/2011/11/snowy-day-in-reykjavik.html. This resort no longer offers a shuttle into town so the options are a $10-taxi ride or the bus for seventy cents.  Being in dire need of tacos and not wanted to add $20 to the bill, I opted for the bus today. The stop is across the street from the hotel and I was surprised to find that it was more than half filled with gringos going into town from the various resorts on the coast. Everything in town looked familiar from last year and I was sure I would be able to re-find the tortillaria at which I'd had so much success buying flour tortillas last year, but even though I focused on where I was going and what turns I was taking, my deficient sense of direction kicked in and I couldn't find the tortilla factory and got mildly lost for about five minutes. Flour tortillas were a must-find for the day since taco-cart tacos were a must-eat, and most of the carts only have corn tortillas, and luckily they had them at the Mexican 7 Eleven I walked into (it's actually called OXXO and there's one on half the street corners, but Mexican 7 Eleven is as apt a description as any). I got some yogurt for tomorrow so I don't have to spend $17 on eggs at the hotel restaurant again, milk for my coffee (which was lukewarm and weak at the restaurant this morning; luckily I brought some Starbucks instant singles to have in my room - say what you want about Starbucks, those packets of instant are great), and the vital flour tortillas. The first couple of carts I stopped at didn't have carnitas (although I don't think pork is called that here), and by the third one I was tired of walking around so I switched to pollo and the guy was going to make them for me but first said "uno momento" and something about "tortillas" and made to run off, and I was able to put together that he didn't have any tortillas and was going to go get some, but luckily I had a whole package on me. So I gave him the tortillas, he made me some muy delicioso tacos, I got back on the bus and got dropped off right in front of the hotel.

*Full disclosure: I didn't actually have to speak Spanish beyond "señorand pointing out the door while smiling at the bus driver, but still.