Thursday, June 10, 2021

Three Things in L.A.

When I travel, I usually tell myself I only have to do ONE thing every day. That doesn't mean I will go to all the time and expense of flying around the world only to be done with my day at 10:15 in the morning, it just means that there's only one must-do thing every day; maybe two if they're geographically close, and whatever else happens is serendipity. It works for me and keeps the pressure low, especially if jetlag is a factor. Since jetlag isn't a factor between Sacramento and Los Angeles, I planned THREE things to do today and was able to hit them all, although one landmark was seen only through a crack in the door. 

The first thing was to visit a small, private garden which has no website, very little press, and the owner is so undesirous of publicity that I'm not even going to name it here. It's open to the public once a week for two hours. The gardener/owner/creator was watering the plants when I arrived, but she clearly didn't want to chat so after my greeting and a couple questions which were met with short answers, I left her alone and wandered around. There is a sign asking that the garden be experienced with one's eyes as opposed to with a camera, but I did take just a few pictures. I'm sure she doesn't want her yard turned into an Instagram playground, and I don't blame her.  


After visiting the garden, I went to The Broad which has recently reopened although sadly, the exhibit I really wanted to see, Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirror Rooms is still closed, but there are still a bunch of favorites on view, including a large collections of Lichtensteins, Wharhols, Basquiat's, and even one of Koons' balloon dogs - and who doesn't love a Koons balloon dog??  




I should have put something in for scale, this thing is huge. 

although it's not as huge as this... 


The third thing I was going to do was to go inside the Bradbury Building, a historic landmark built by a gold-mining millionaire in the late 1800s. Sadly, it's still closed to the public, but the building (smack in the middle of DTLA) is so old that the original wood doors have just enough space between them for a camera lens.  

You can sort of get the idea of the intricate ironwork and light-filled atrium.