Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Aarhus

Joe left Putney early Monday morning to go home to Seattle, and I left around noon to head to an Airbnb room near Standsted Airport so I didn't have to rush to catch an early flight to Aarhus yesterday morning. Catherine, my gracious host, picked me up from the train station and I didn't really have much to do that afternoon so I just worked for several hours, went to bed, and got up in time for Catherine to take me to the airport on her way to work. It was only an hour and half flight from north of London to Aarhus, Denmark, where I met up with Ellen, Torrun, and Ellen's good friend Lisa, whom I've gotten to know over the last few years during my many trips to Sacramento. Lisa was joining Ellen and Torrun on their summer trip to Denmark, and I was joining all of them in Aarhus. They were staying in a hostel up the road from where I was staying, so I walked up to meet them, had a glass of wine on the lovely patio, and caught up on their travels in Denmark prior to meeting up with me.

Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark and one of it's main attractions is ARoS, an art museum that focuses on modern art, but which also has a permanent collection of Danish art that spans 300 years. The museum's most prominent component is Olafur Eliasson's Your Rainbow Panorama, which was installed on the roof in 2011. We worked our way up to the rainbow by visiting the exhibitions off the Guggenheim-esque spiral, and then made a leisurely walk around the very lovely ring of rainbow.










After ARoS, we took the bus to the outskirts of town to the Moesgaard Museum, which focuses on the pre-history of humans. Every exhibit is about something a few thousand years old, yet it's displayed with an astonishing amount of technology. Whoever is in charge of exhibit installation over there is doing an amazing job.
The lawn surrounding and on the roof is usually green, but Denmark, like England, is experiencing a heat wave.