Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Races at Ascot

I asked Joe a couple months ago if he wanted to meet me in London because I was going to try and go to Wimbledon. Knowing Joe (as I have for 20 years), I figured he'd be up for any kind of sporting event regardless of location, and when he agreed, we developed an itinerary for our week. Joe also developed a plan for himself before meeting up with me which included going to two rugby matches near Leeds. Since he arrived, we've been watching World Cup soccer in the pub, we had a great day at the tennis center, a nice evening at the cricket match, and our last sporting event was Ascot. I had such a fun time with Jen at the races in Lexington two years ago, I knew I'd enjoy the races at Ascot, and not just because they are featured in "My Fair Lady."  We got tickets for one of the fancy enclosures away from the riff-raff (and proceeded to agonize for a month about the dress code), got on the train, and arrived at an incredibly nice racecourse about an hour from London. I'm no big gambler, but there's no point in going to the races if you don't put skin in the game, so we bet on every race, which for me amounted to a grand total of £12.00; I was betting to win and only one of my horses came in first which won me £4.20, so I still have enough money to get home.