Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Broxbourne

Mel, me, Brent
I left Portugal yesterday and made my way via plane, train, and tube to the Putney neighborhood in London. Putney will be home for the next week, while my friend Joe, who will come in from Seattle via Liverpool later today, and I pursue a variety of sports-themed activities, but first I took the train to Broxbourne to visit an old friend. I hadn't seen Brent in almost ten years; we worked together in the mid-aughts, then he moved to Portland, and a couple of years ago, I heard from a mutual friend that he had 'met someone,' that someone being British, and was dividing time between the States and England. Brent and Mel, the British 'someone' had recently married, and it was absolutely wonderful to see my old friend again and meet his husband. They live in a lovely, leafy village about an hour by train from Central London, and after picking me up from their village train station, they took me to a fabulous lunch in a quintessential British pub. I had fish and chips and mushy peas, all delicious. 




St. John the Baptist Church; across the road from the pub; built in the 12th century.