Thursday, November 22, 2018

Another Thanksgiving in Canada

It's cold in Toronto. Like, REALLY cold. While my friends in Seattle were preparing to eat turkey, I was walking around trying not to freeze to death. I walked through Graffiti Alley, went to the Bata Shoe Museum, and went to see Jay Baruchel talk about his book, "Born into It" at the Toronto Public Library. It just so happens that I've watched a bunch of Jay's movies in the last few months and while I won't say that noticing that Jay's book tour included a stop at the library in Toronto was the reason I decided to come here this weekend, because that would sound creepy and stalkerish, I'm not... not saying that was the reason.







I went to an interview and slide presentation given by Manolo Blahnik about ten years ago in NYC. He was a seriously wacky sort who was fun if someone incomprehensible to listen to, and he showed slides of his beautiful original drawings. The drawings were part of the show at the museum and the shoes were gorgeous. He said he hated to see women in athletic shoes (whatever) so he'd heartily disapprove of my beloved sneaker collection. 



































































I read almost half this book while waiting for the interview,
and I'm definitely impressed; it's about far more than hockey,
it is quintessentially about CANADA.