Monday, January 25, 2021

A Labyrinth and Peach Preserve

I was driving around the island this morning on the way to a hike in an area called Peach Preserve, more on that later, when I passed a small sign saying "Labyrinth Open." I did a quick U-turn and found this lovely meditation spot in the woods.


An impressive configuration of stones and twigs and ferns arranged in a complex semi-spiral.

It took me about five minutes to do the walk, which in the spirit of the endeavor, I did without earbuds in, and without taking any photos until I was done.  

My real destination for the morning was a hike in a beach-front area called the Peach Preserve, which I found confusing due to the obvious lack of peach trees, but after walking trails through the forest, down the beach, and along a meadow, I came to an information sign indicating that the area was once part of a World War I shipyard, until local philanthropist Patsy "Peach" Bullitt Collins funded its rehabilitation into a nature preserve; mystery solved.