Saturday, January 23, 2021

Return to Guemes Island

I try to get away from home for my birthday. Over the decade I've been in L.A., Mexico, Sri Lanka, New Zealand; the last two years I was in New York, and I loved New York in January so much (sidewalks are empty, theater tickets are easy to get) that it was set to be my new birthday trip for the foreseeable future. Well, no one could have foreseen this future in which even if I felt like getting on a plane (I don't), there would be no point in going to New York City, where theaters are dark, and the idea of eating in the few restaurants that are open seems like a gamble not worth taking. Doesn't matter though because I discovered Guemes Island in November; I can get here easily from my home, and yet it feels like a world away. 

I drove to Anacortes late this morning, got on the ferry, and took a scenic drive to where I'm staying, stopping along the way at Kelly's Point to take a walk on the beach on a beautiful, sunny day.




Have I mentioned that I'm obsessed with tiny houses? I stayed at one here on Guemes in November and I'm staying at a different tiny house this time. This one is almost waterfront - I can see the water from where I'm currently positioned in the bed-loft, and I took another beach walk after I unpacked.