Sunday, January 24, 2021

Country Roads

I had grand plans to hike to the top of Guemes Mountain today. I did it last time I was here and was looking forward to the fairly easy hike with a great view of the water and surrounding islands as the payoff, but it's raining (a little) and windy (semi-blustery) and that seemed like a good enough reason to scrap the idea of a wet hike with a nothing but cloud-cover at the top, and just drive around, which is one of my favorite activities. Here are some things I saw on my drive this afternoon:






There is no real 'center of town' on Guemes Island, no area with boutiques and cafes. However, the General Store is the first thing you see when you drive off the ferry. It is a store, gas station, and restaurant. The store is semi-closed in that if you need something, you ring the bell and ask the nice person behind the Dutch-door and she'll grab it for you, but the restaurant has a patio that is open and does take-out service, and I plan to go back later to pick up something for dinner.  


Both times that I've been on this island, I've stopped my car several times in the middle
of the road to take photos. There's never anyone around to honk at me. 

That thing of when you're on a rural island in the Pacific Northwest and you see a couple of peacocks in someone's yard...