Sunday, September 10, 2017

Channeling My Inner Cowgirl


I've been on a horse many time, but I don't really know how to RIDE. I have visions of myself flying across the plains, mane (both mine and the horse's) flying behind me as I gallop through fields in total control of a ton of equine muscle. In an attempt to make that vision a reality, I find myself in Mancos, Colorado at the Majestic Dude Ranch, where riding is one of the many activities available in this summer-camp-like environment. This place actually used to be a summer camp decades ago but now it operates as an all-inclusive dude ranch, catering mostly to families looking for a camp-like experience. In addition to riding, there is archery, skeet shooting, hiking, fly fishing, ATV-riding... the usual camp fare. But after Labor Day, no kids are allowed at the ranch and that's when I decided to come. My friend Emily was game to come too, so we met in Phoenix, took another flight to Durango, were met by Nancy, who picked us up and drove us, and Kim, who had flown in from Annapolis, about 30 miles to the ranch. Emily and I had both caught 5am flights out of Portland and Seattle, so the main thing we were looking forward to when we got to the ranch was a nap. We had lunch when we got in then took a bit of rest before trying a little roping and practicing some archery skills with Lee and Chris, two resident cowboys.  By that time, Bonny and Lee, two guests from Texas had arrived (this was Bonnie's sixth time at the ranch), and by dinner time, Donna and Megan had joined us. Those two are college friends who met in Rochester, where Donna still lives, while Megan is practically a neighbor living in Monroe, WA.
Emily roping like a rodeo star.



I can assure you that I did not hit the bull's eye.
Probably didn't even hit the target.


Emily's awesome cowgirl boots
Lil Sebastian??
After dinner there was wine tasting and line dancing (Robert, the owner refers to this as "wine dancing"), but I was so pooped that I retired early to my very nice room to get ready for bed. Tomorrow, we ride.