Tuesday, September 12, 2017

More Riding, Aspens, and Mud

This morning, Emily, Donna, Megan, and I took a riding lesson in the horse arena. We trotted around and around while Nancy gave us instruction, and finally moved on to a canter, a gait much more comfortable on the rump than trotting. I considered the lesson a success and got off my horse after cantering while Emily, Megan, and Donna did a little barrel racing - which Megan did like a champ, even though she said she hadn't done any real riding in years.




After the lesson, lunch, and a brief rest, an ATV tour through the aspen groves was next on the agenda. We put on full-face helmet and motored off the ranch, into the San Juan National Forest. Robert then proceeded to roll us over rocks, around corners, and through puddles the size of small ponds. Covered in mud and soaking wet, we made it back to the ranch and stopped near a small stream where the wine and cheese was set up - you know, typical post-ATV-ride fare. The wine warmed me up and we did a little fly-casting practice by the stream in preparation for an early morning fly fishing trip tomorrow. This is activity being optional (as are all the activities), coupled with how sore and tired I am right now, plus the fact that I have no interest in catching a fish despite the fact that Robert said my casting (10 and 2) was very good, I will be opting OUT tomorrow morning.