Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Famous Last Words about Fly Fishing

Robert tying a fly.
As I said, I had no desire to go fishing but when Emily, Kim, and Lee were getting ready to leave with Robert for the river, I decided to tag along. It was a such a pretty day so I figured just hanging out by the river would be nice; and then when we stopped at the convenience store to get fishing licenses, I decided, what the heck - and I got one too. From what I can tell, fly fishing is all about patience, luck, perseverance, and a slight amount of addiction. Before we got to the river, I really didn't care at all about catching a fish, and as I told Robert, "I have no desire to annoy fish for sport." But then we got out there and started casting and... well, the idea that I might hook a fish was kind of exciting. And even as my arm got sore (ten and two, ten and two...) I kept throwing the line in over and over really rather hoping that I'd fling a fish out of the water. This was strictly a catch-and-release situation and we were using barbless hooks, so while the fish would certainly be irritated, it wouldn't technically be hurt. But alas, while we could see a trout our two jumping out of the water (taunting us), no one caught a fish and eventually, Emily and I put our poles down and just enjoyed the stream-side ambiance while the others continued casting with high hopes but empty lines.
Me not catching a fish.
Emily not catching a fish.
Lee not catching a fish.
Kim not catching a fish.