Friday, July 5, 2019

Buda and Pest

I still don't quite have a handle on how it works, but Budapest comprises two areas bisected by the Danube; Buda to the West, Pest to the East but both places are Budapest... or are in Budapest. And I am in Budapest, on the Pest side. Kind of a random choice but here I am and it's great. Long and awful trip (middle seat, basic economy, the worst) but I landed yesterday, took a bus then the subway from the airport to the apartment I'm staying in, and promptly took a two-and-a-half-hour nap, which is all I ever do after an overnight flight. After I got up, I took a walk by the river, bought some groceries, got a chicken gyro for dinner from the Turkish restaurant on the corner by my apartment, and went back to sleep.

Today however, was much more interesting. I went on a bike tour (on an electric bike, those things are fantastic - rode to the top of Gellert Hill, below, without breaking a sweat) and saw all the sights.
Gellert Hill 

View from Gellert Hill

Chain Bridge - first permanent bridge across the Danube in Hungary - 1849

Fisherman's Bastion
Matthias Church

Hungarian Presidential Palace, I think they're using the word "palace" loosely.

Parliament Building

fountains on Margaret Island

St. Stephen's Basilica - St. Stephen's mummified hand is supposedly inside; I did not go in to confirm. 
I came back to the apartment after the ride, took a shower, took a nap, then went for a walk so I could get a shot of the Parliament building just after the sun went behind the hills.