Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Walking around before Heading Home

I didn't really do much over the last two days in Budapest. I hung out in my neighborhood, walked to a few restaurants (and to be fair, I did find some good food, I just don't think the national cuisine is intrinsically delicious), and just soaked in the vibe before packing up and heading out. I had a 6am flight on Monday so on Sunday afternoon, I took the #9 bus (which I had been on before) to Deac Ferenc Square (which I had been to before) and got on the 100E bus to the airport. I can't say enough about the ease and frequency of the various modes of transportation in Budapest. Even with some subway lines near my apartment under construction, the substitute buses were easy to figure out and use. It was Sunday and my flight was on Monday but I took the bus to the airport because I was spending the last night at a hotel which was just a short walk to the airport - it's basically on the airport grounds and connects to the terminal via a covered walk-way. I could see the hotel from the bus so it was easy to make my way there, take a shower (hot and muggy day), and rest up before what turned out to be a fairly grueling trip home (again, basic economy... worth the lower ticket price? I'm starting to think it's not). Budapest is worth the price though, given that other than the flight, which was pretty pricey out of Sacramento and into Seattle, everything else was very affordable. My great apartment was crazy-cheap, restaurants were quite inexpensive, groceries cost next to nothing, and my transit pass which covered the subway, buses, and trams for the entire time I was there was about $20. I wish I had spent more time exploring the surrounding villages, but I have to say that the jet lag really threw me for a loop this time and my days ended early and afternoons often included a nap. That's ok, though. I'm glad I went, and I had a great time.

The city has lots of modern shops and restaurants but it is definitely 'old-world Europe.'


 
my apartment building
inside the building - my unit was on the third floor, that's my door bottom/left. 
really good burger
the 'cone' is a chimney cake, which is a local pastry... which is not that great. The gelato inside was delicious, though.

I've developed a real fondness for airport hotels - especially the new ones. 

This cool design was on the carpet by the door inside my room.
Home now for a week before heading off to London next Tuesday - I ❤ summer!