Saturday, July 6, 2019

Budapest

Yesterday when I was up on the hill by the Matthias Church on the bike tour, I noticed a nice little neighborhood with shops and restaurants. We didn't have time to explore yesterday so I took a tram and then a bus back up the hill today to look around and buy a few things.

It was hot today - 90 degrees, so after walking around and finding a few nice souvenirs, I had to get someplace cooler so I took the bus back down the hill, skipped the tram, and walked a very long way in the heat to the mall. It had to be done. It was air conditioned. Wandered around there for a bit then hopped a tram back to the apartment for a shower and a nap. The grand plan post-nap was to go out just before dark and get some shots of the Chain Bridge and the Parliament building after the sun set. This involved a long walk along the Danube, crossing the Chain Bridge to get the best view of the Parliament building (which I'm just a few blocks from on the same side), and taking a tram and bus to get back - there are a lot of transpo options here and I'm using all of them. I just got back, rinsed off again in the shower and put on my pjs.
Shoes on the Danube Bank. Memorializing those killed by the Nazis during the occupation of Hungary. Prisoners were ordered to take off their shoes while standing along the river bank and shot in the back.