Saturday, July 13, 2019

The Blue Danube






























It's the second longest river in Europe and even though I decided a while back (while paddling into the wind in New Zealand) that I don't enjoy kayaking, I was looking forward to the trip down the Danube. We were a small group of four, Keelan and Hannah an Irish couple, me, and our guide, Manda, who met up with us at the train station. We boarded a train for the village of Zebegeny where Manda's father runs a canoe and kayak rental company. We had a nice breakfast of Hungarian delicacies on the bank and then got on the river. It was a cloudy day and it actually rained a bit toward the end, but we had a great day of paddling around the river bend to to town of Kismaros before taking the train back to Budapest.
Keeland and Hannah opted for single kayaks but I was in a double with Manda. Manda is studying architecture in Budapest and we had lots of time to chat about Frank Gehry and Frank Lloyd Wright. I impressed her by showing off my photo of the FLW house Falling Water, and she whipped out her phone and and showed me her photo of FG's Guiggenheim in Bilbao.